Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science
Derek believes in the potential for computation and data analysis to support responsible, evidence-based decision making. This guides his professional work in teaching, research, entrepreneurship, and outreach. In his spare time, he does adventure races, plays board games, and assists his three LEGO master builders at home – Sonya, Leena, and Arjun.
Edward has a diverse science and engineering background, holding degrees in
biochemistry and chemical engineering, and presently working toward a PhD in
computer science. He has worked in the software startup space, as well as the
energy sector. At Iogen Corporation’s pilot plant, he helped improve process
reliability for a cellulosic (non-food) ethanol fuel production process. His
research interests are in natural language processing, computational discourse
analysis, and social media analytics.
Saleem did his Masters from McGill and presently working towards his PhD. His current research involves detecting dangerous/hate speech generated by users of social media.
Caitrin completed her BA&Sc in Cognitive Science in May 2016. Her involvement in the network dynamics lab over the last two years has been influential in her decision to migrate from her initial involvement in psychology and linguistics towards an enthusiasm for the use of computer science tools to study large scale human behaviour. She is especially interested in the study of knowledge transfer within groups. Outside of the lab she loves skiing, martial arts, climbing, and reading quirky novels.
Matt completed his B.Sc. (Eng.) in Computer Engineering from Queen’s University in May, 2015. Upon graduation, he worked as a software engineer for MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates, on their RADARSAT-2 mission operations team. His research interests include natural language processing, machine learning and data mining. In the lab, his work focuses on quantifying the impact of conflict of interest in biomedical literature.
Koustuv is from Kolkata, India where he completed his Bachelors in Computer Science in 2014. He is now in his first year of Masters in McGill, working with various technologies from Big Data via Python and Hadoop to dabbling with Deep Learning architectures. His research interests lies in application of state-of-the-art Machine Learning algorithms to Computational Social Informatics. In his spare time he likes to teach, develop web applications and tries to see the world through the lenses of digital photography.
Ariane is from both France and California and is in the fourth year of her undergrad, majoring in Computer Science and minoring in Gender Studies. She is always excited to apply computational methods to analyzing, understanding and advancing societal issues. She is also cautious but optimistic about the potential for large-scale data analysis to inform public policy decisions. So far, she has thoroughly enjoyed dipping her toe in the vast world of research and is learning more than she ever expected to. In her spare time, Ariane likes to read dystopian novels, talk about politics with her friends, and complain about the winter in Montreal.
Past Lab Members
- David Jurgens (2014-15), Postdoctoral Scholar @ Stanford
- Stefan Dimitrov (MS 2016)
- Hardik Vala (MS 2016) Developer @ Apple
- Jad Sassine, Research Assistant, PhD @ MIT
- Faiyaz Al Zamal (PhD 2015), Financial Data Scientist @ Morgan Stanley
- Guy Lifshitz (MS 2014), Data Scientist @ Silentale
- Syed Ahmed (MS 2014), Developer @ CloudOps
- Raviv Cohen (MS 2013), Security Consultant @ iSec
- Michael Misiewicz (MS 2013), Data Scientist @ AppNexus
- Mathieu Perreault (MS 2012), Software Developer @ Google
- Cara Vitali, Communications
- Tyler Finethy, Computer Science
- Morgane Ciot, Computer Science
- James Mccorriston, Systems Analyst @ Quantopian
- Vasu Nadella, Co-founder and CEO of Macromeasures
- Wendy Liu, Co-founder and CTO of Macromeasures
- Ben Deverett, MD-PhD program @ Rutgers University
- Angela King, (received a Summer 2010 NSERC Fellowship) graduate school @ MIT
- Ionut Georgian Ciobanu, Computer Science @ Co-founder of LindenHoney