Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science
Derek believes in the potential for computation and data analysis to support responsible, evidence-based decision making. This guides his professional work in teaching, research, entrepreneurship, and outreach. In his spare time, he does adventure races, plays board games, and assists his three LEGO master builders at home – Sonya, Leena, and Arjun.
Edward has a diverse science and engineering background, holding degrees in biochemistry and chemical engineering, and presently working toward a PhD in computer science. He has worked in the software startup space, as well as the energy sector. At Iogen Corporation’s pilot plant, he helped improve process reliability for a cellulosic (non-food) ethanol fuel production process. His research interests are in natural language processing, computational discourse analysis, and social media analytics.
Saleem did his Masters from McGill and presently working towards his PhD. His current research involves detecting dangerous/hate speech generated by users of social media.
Deven completed his Masters at the Network Dynamics Lab and is presently working towards his PhD. His current research involves misinformation, fake news, and political fact-checking. He is also working on a project on the topic of online extremism.
Caitrin completed her BA&Sc in Cognitive Science in May 2016. Her involvement in the network dynamics lab over the last two years has been influential in her decision to migrate from her initial involvement in psychology and linguistics towards an enthusiasm for the use of computer science tools to study large scale human behaviour. She is especially interested in the study of knowledge transfer within groups. Outside of the lab, she loves skiing, martial arts, climbing, and reading quirky novels.
Sunyam completed his B.Tech (in Computer Engineering) from Delhi College of Engineering in May, 2017. He is now in his second year of Master’s in Computer Science at McGill. His research interests involve applying machine learning and natural language processing techniques to study culture and human behaviour. Some of his ongoing projects include: detecting social bots on Twitter, classifying historical text from the Eighteenth Century, and studying political polarisation on Reddit. When he is not doing his research, he is busy playing tennis and poker (which is a sport; not gambling).
Jana is completing her B.Com in Economics and Computer Science at McGill. Her experience in Data Science has been focused on the financial sector and the Cognitive Sciences. She is interested in the relationship between information processing, complex networking, and communication-psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys Visual Arts and philosophy.
Meghan graduated with a BA in Psychology & International Development in December 2017. She is currently coordinating the Network Dynamics Lab, the Centre for Social & Cultural Data Science, and working as the Operations Manager for Charitable Analytics International. In her spare time, Meghan loves long distance running and telling strangers that it’s her birthday so that she can pet their dogs.
Past Lab Members
- Matthew Gittings (MSc 2016-2018), Software Engineer @ Amazon
- Koustuv Sinha (MSc 2016-2018), PhD @ Mila, McGill
- Ariane Schang (BSc 2016-2017), Data & Digital Organizer
- David Jurgens (2014-15), Postdoctoral Scholar @ Stanford
- Stefan Dimitrov (MS 2016)
- Hardik Vala (MS 2016) Developer @ Apple
- Jad Sassine, Research Assistant, PhD @ MIT
- Faiyaz Al Zamal (PhD 2015), Financial Data Scientist @ Morgan Stanley
- Guy Lifshitz (MS 2014), Data Scientist @ Silentale
- Syed Ahmed (MS 2014), Developer @ CloudOps
- Raviv Cohen (MS 2013), Security Consultant @ iSec
- Michael Misiewicz (MS 2013), Data Scientist @ AppNexus
- Mathieu Perreault (MS 2012), Software Developer @ Google
- Cara Vitali, Communications
- Tyler Finethy, Computer Science
- Morgane Ciot, Computer Science
- James Mccorriston, Systems Analyst @ Quantopian
- Vasu Nadella, Co-founder and CEO of Macromeasures
- Wendy Liu, Co-founder and CTO of Macromeasures
- Ben Deverett, MD-PhD program @ Rutgers University
- Angela King, (received a Summer 2010 NSERC Fellowship) graduate school @ MIT
- Ionut Georgian Ciobanu, Computer Science @ Co-founder of LindenHoney